About Me

Hi, I'm Amanda. Check out my "about" page to learn more about my life.

Follow Me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, April 19, 2010

Lay 'em all out

So this blog requires some interaction from my 8 readers, yes...I know you're out there. I'd love to know your favorite household tips. You know the ones that you feel just give a little extra oomph in running your home.
Like, how in the world do you keep the drip pans clean on your stove?

Or...what ingredients do you keep on hand for your "go-to" meal? What is that meal?

My most baffling question yet, how do you chop an onion without wanting to tear your eyes out from the burn and tears? (Tried washing it, cutting it under water, wearing sunglasses, chopping in intervals...nothing works so far.)

Do you make your own cleaners, are you a brand snob or do you just buy what's cheapest?

How o how do you keep your hardwood floors clean and free from dust bunnies without sweeping the entire home every other day?

Bring them on...I'd love to know all of your tips and tactics for the home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So about the onion, I've heard the following.
We your wrists before you chop.
Stick out your tongue while you chop.
Put an onion on your head? I think that one's from Like Water for Chocolate but I don't remember where I heard it :-)
Lindsay

The Taylors said...

I could speak to all of these with my random ideas but that would be a long comment. My tips for cutting an onion: a Chop Wizard and onion goggles. Those two things paired together do the trick every time with no tears.

Amanda said...

Brook, where would one get these miracle onion goggles? Also, at least do please share any hardwood floor cleaning tips. That is what can drive me crazy most.

geauxcory said...

My mom swears by the swiffer vac for hardwood floors. I haven't gotten one yet, but plan to soon. You still have to use it pretty often, but it's a lot easier

Jamey Lynne said...

I don't really have many tips like these yet, but I do know people who wear swimming goggles to chop onions... :)

Beth said...

You asked for it...

-Drip pans: I don't have a secret. I just remove the burners and wash them frequently. :(

-Recipe: We love taco soup! I have a note on facebook that contains the recipe. So easy, and so yummy.

-Onion: Hmm... it seems you are extraordinarily sensitive to onions?! Or maybe Wes just cuts all of our onions and I don't notice. Yeah... that's probably it. :)

-Cleaners: I'm kind of a brand snob, although I'm trying to learn couponing, so I know I have to get away from that. I try to be "green" as much as possible, but I can't give up Clorox wipes. They are my favorite! Oh, and Magic Erasers. Can't get my bathtub clean without them.

-Floors: My dust buster is my best friend. I just zoom it along the baseboards every few days and that seems to do the trick. Want to know a secret? I've never actually mopped our floors. I don't own a mop, and I don't know how to mop. Then again, my MIL spent a reported 15 hours scrubbing our floors while we were on our honeymoon. She wore knee pads and everything. So I think that got me off on the right foot. ;) Seriously, though, I need to learn how to clean them (not just sweep them)!

-Random: I try to keep a little schedule of chores going in my head, and I try to do at least two things every night during the week so I'm not faced with everything on the weekends. Read this blog post for more:

http://www.bethabee.com/2009/03/spring-cleaning.html

(Since then, I will say that I've started changing my sheets every two weeks!)

Okay... longest comment ever. I'm out. :)

Payden said...

Cleaners - dollar tree cleaners -
ammonia mixed with water is glass and tile cleaner - windex if you will.

Vinegar and water is a good cleaner and isn't as strong as ammonia.

I used dollar tree furniture polish.

The things that I spend the cash on would be laundry detergent.

Go-To Meal:
Chicken Scalloppini - it's on myrecipes.com - I don't use capers and I have ingredients on hand most of the time - if it comes down to it I will just season and cook the chicken and bread crumbs and serve over pasta with a red sauce and just call that red-neck chicken parm.

well hope that helps!

Laurem said...

Can I just say I love that I am number 8 on the comments:)
For the onion- light a match/candle. I saw it on Martha Stewart and it really helps! Just set the candle on the counter while you are cutting it and voila! Not tears! As for cleaners- I use the cheapest for laundry--usually Purex, but I find it works really well!I am loyal to oxyclean spray pretreater though---the stuff works miracles! I am a brand snob for my wood floors- I always use Murphy's Oil Soap to mop them.
As for the recipe--we'll have to trade some soon:) It's always good to get some new ones in the rotation!