About Me

Hi, I'm Amanda. Check out my "about" page to learn more about my life.

Follow Me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Isaiah and his prophetess...I mean, wife

So a few weeks ago I decided to begin reading through Isaiah. Before you breathe that gasp of shock, yes, I know it is 66 chapters long and at even a chapter a day it would take over 2 months to read, but...I plan to take it slow and try to learn. So..if it takes a year, it's ok. I am up to chapter 8 and I love it when I find phrases in the Bible that catch me off guard and make me smile. I didn't understand all of Isaiah 8:1 in my ESV Sproul study Bible so I called Dane to ask what his new ESV study Bible said; however, the infamous, long-awaited ESV study Bible is at his office at church and not with him at home. So I settled for his interpretation from the his closest Bible within reach, the trusty NASB. (Yes, I know now I can just go to biblegateway.com, but I like that I can ask my fiance for help and he can teach me.) Now in the ESV, the verse reads:
Take a large tablet and write on it in common characters, 'Belonging to Maher-shalal-hash-baz.'
Ok, see my confusion? Why would God tell Isaiah to take a large tablet and write his second son's name on it? (Maher-.... is the name of Isaiah's 2nd son.) So Dane reads this from his NASB:
"Take for yourself a large tablet and write on it in ordinary letters: Swift is the booty, speedy is the prey.
"Swift is the booty?" What in the world is that? Before you tell me to grab my dictionary, I know that the word "booty" can mean something to be gained/won, but the phrase just caught me off guard at the drastically different translations and made me smile. Picture this, your church youth group now has t-shirts that say "Swift is the booty..." Is. 8:1 NASB. Now what kind of people would that upset? :)
I still don't understand the text very well, but I'll have to wait until I can get to Dane's commentaries. O, I can't wait for us to be married so I can have full, easy access to his library of Bible reference books. He has so many that are so helpful!!
O, and in vs. 3, Isaiah refers to his wife as "the prophetess." I guess that's what you get when you marry a prophet...or maybe she was one too? Hmm...

2 comments:

Jamey Lynne said...

I did this in the spring! Or maybe last fall... I'm not sure. But regardless, I realized that I had never really read all of Isaiah so I conquered it one chapter at a time. It was awesome! :)
And yes, I'll be there tomorrow night. That's my plan anyway. I don't want to miss time with you girls unless I absolutely have to!!!

Stephanie said...

heehee. I would love a t-shirt with "swift is the booty" on it. That made me laugh. thanks!

Isaiah is a GREAT book. God has used so much of that book to speak His love to me over and over again.